Welcome to my website. I am an economist based at the Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research (LISER). My current research focuses on economic measurement and macro-economic implications. I am particularly interested in the distributional and spatial dimension of economic phenomena.
I have worked on measurement issues related to real estate economics, the dynamics in house prices, rents and price-to-rent ratios, the CPI, and the distribution of wealth.
Currently, I am interested in measuring (housing) wealth and its distribution, peoples’ knowledge about and perception of their own wealth, differences and potentials of macro-economic indicators based on objective and subjective data, and the improvement of econometric techniques to construct contemporary and historic house price and rent indices.
My CV is available here.
- “Estimating Quantile-Specific Rental Yields for Residential Housing in Sydney”, Regional Science and Urban Economics 68, 2018, 204 – 225.
- Presentations: [OeNB, Vienna, October 2016] [Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, Cambridge (MA), May 2016]
- “Variation across price segments and locations: A comprehensive quantile regression analysis of the Sydney housing market”, forthcoming in Real Estate Economics, doi: 10.1111/1540-6229.12177.
- Presentations: [LISER, Luxembourg, January 2017] [ARUEA-ASSA meeting in Chicago, January 2017] [Regional Studies Association Annual Conference, U Graz, April 2016] [ISW Workshop on Empirical Economics, WIFO, Vienna, January 2016] [SEM conference at OECD, July 2015] [Workshop on Improvements in Price Index Methodology and Practice: The International Comparisons Program (ICP) and the Measurement of Movements in House Prices, U Graz, December 2014]
- “A hedonic house price index in continuous time”, International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis 9(4), 2016, 648 – 670.
- Presentations: [Austrian Economic Association conference at U Klagenfurt, June 2015] [SEM conference at U Chicago Booth, August 2014]
- Owner Occupied Housing in the CPI and Its Impact On Monetary Policy During Housing Booms and Busts (with Robert J. Hill and Miriam Steurer)
- Working Paper: [LISER Working Paper]
- Presentations: [STATEC, Luxembourg, April 2018] [NBER Conference on International Comparisons of Income, Prices and Production, MIT, Cambridge (MA), May 2016] [OeNB, Vienna, June 2016] [Oxford U, February 2017] [Institute of Fiscal Studies, London, May 2017] [GGDC 25th Anniversary Conference, Groningen, June 2017] [SEM conference at MIT, Cambridge (MA), July 2017]
- Media Coverage: Die Presse (AT), Central Banking (UK), D’Lëtzeburger Land (LU), Lëtzebuerger Journal (LU)
- Missing the wealthy in the HFCS: Micro problems with macro implications (with Robin Chakraborty)
- Working Paper: forthcoming as ECB Working Paper [Draft presented at the first WID.world conference]
- Presentations (partly including further insights from the ongoing project The Missing Wealth in European Wealth Statistics): [“The legacy of Tony Atkinson in inequality analysis”, LIS, Luxembourg, May 2018] [OeNB, March 2018] [Vienna University of Economics and Business, March 2018] [WID.world conference, Paris School of Economics, December 2017] [ECB HFCN User workshop, Frankfurt, November 2017] [U Graz, September 2017] [Deutsche Bundesbank, Frankfurt, August 2017] [5th Luxembourg Workshop on Household Finance and Consumption, Banque Centrale du Luxembourg, June 2017] [Expert Group on Linking Macro and Micro Statistics for the Household Sector, ECB, Frankfurt, June 2017]
- Global Comparisons of Housing Boom-Bust-Cycles Using Micro Data on Prices and Rents (with Robert J. Hill, Ronan Lyons, Daniel P. McMillen, and Chihiro Shimizu)
- Historic Rental Prices in St. Petersburg (1880-1917): Revolutions, World War I and Rent Control (with Konstantin Kholodilin and Leonid E. Limonov)
- Presentations: [LISER, May 2018]
- Are People Aware of their Wealth? Reliability of and Consequences from Using Self-Assessed House Prices and Hypothetical Rents Based on Joint Evidence from Survey and Experimental Data (with Francesco Fallucchi and Michael Ziegelmeyer)
- The Missing Wealth in European Wealth Statistics
- Dissertation: Modelling housing markets: Issues in economic measurement
- Master’s thesis: Standardfehler in Negativ Binomialmodellen mit zufälligen Effekten (Standard Errors in Negative Binomial Models with Random Effects)
- Bachelor’s thesis: Modellierung eines Erdwärmesystems zur Bestimmung des geeigneten Abstandes zwischen Erdkollektoren (Modeling a Heat Pump System to Determine the Appropriate Separation between Collectors in the Earth)
Selected Blog Posts
- Why you should never trust a house price index (only) (Lindau Nobel Blog, 24/Aug/2017)
- Short-Selling in Immobilienmärkten: Fluch oder Segen? (Graz Economics Blog, 14/Feb/2016)
- Stammtischmythen im Faktencheck: Sind öffentliche Schulden wählbar? (Graz Economics Blog, 3/Jan/2016)
- The best age to get married if you don’t want to get divorced in Austria (Graz Economics Blog, 18/Jul/2015)
In the press
- Hauspreise ließen Teuerung wohl höher ausfallen (Die Presse, 26/March/2018, Austria)
- Solving the owner-occupied housing puzzle (Central Banking, 27/Feb/2018, UK)
- Mehr Inflation (D’Lëtzeburger Land, 16/Feb/2018, Luxembourg)
- Immobilienpreise in der Inflationsrate abbilden (Lëtzebuerger Journal, 7/Feb/2018, Luxembourg)
- So wollen Top-Ökonomen die Welt verbessern (Die Welt, 23/Aug/2017, Germany)
- 96.000 Euro für Grazer Jungforscher (Der Standard, 19/Nov/2014, Austria)
- Mit vielen Zahlen zum Erfolg in Teheran (Kleine Zeitung, 2/Aug/2010, Austria)
Maison des Sciences Humaines
11, Porte des Sciences
© foto (title): Daniel Graziadei 2016